The Estimator is responsible for planning, organizing, and fully developing comprehensive conceptual and final costing estimates from the start to the completion of varied civil construction projects. This position works with the Project Procurement team in the delivery of a total bid price for heavy civil general contracts in both conventional tender and design-build formats. This position may also act as the Technical Lead on Design-Build Projects, and if successful, act as Project Manager throughout project execution.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Planning and organizing Responsibility
- Review contractual documents and contract modifications to determine the scope of work
- Review specifications and drawings and attend pre-bid meetings to determine the scope of work and required contents of estimates
- Prepare accurate takeoff quantities using Autodesk QTO takeoff application
- Prepare estimates using B2W estimating system calculating material, labor, and equipment costs and applying them to complete the scope of work
- Prepare, issue, receive and review supplier and subcontractor proposals and pricing
- Review options based on design and recommend the best solution based on cost competitiveness
- Assist proposal manager in preparing bid package documents
- Negotiate and manage the bid award process and execute contracts
Project Financial Responsibility
- Project Manager on multiple small to mid-range projects with responsibilities including:
- Implementation and management of project budgets
- Monitor progress and status of projects including budget updates, CPSR, invoicing, and accounts payable follow-up
- Complete contract closeout documents and process
- Evaluate and report on profit/loss results
- Assist in the development and maintenance of estimating resource database, guidelines and resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, and government requirements
- Strict adherence to the Eurovia BC Group of Companies’ corporate safety standards and procedures
- Annual participation in a corporate safety orientation
- Coordinates with Safety Officer to ensure ongoing compliance with client safety, requirements, and completion of safety prequalification’s, NOP’s, etc.
- Meets all project tender deadlines
- Consistently delivers a solid, defendable estimate for the bid review process
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING, OR EXPERIENCE)
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience
- Proven track record in both Estimating & Project Management Roles
- Thorough understanding with applied knowledge of construction earthwork, structures, paving, underground, and grading practices on large /complex heavy civil projects
- Excellent technical, communication, organizational, managerial, and planning skills
- Excellent relational and leadership skills
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and provide solutions
- Require very limited supervision and direction beyond providing desired outcomes
- Ability to learn new software including: HCSS Heavy Bid, B2W estimating, Autodesk NavisWorks, Autodesk Buzzsaw, MS Excel, etc.
- Accredited 4-year degree in a related field or applicable discipline; CET Diploma; or equivalent experience
- Gold Seal Certificate – Estimating
- Applied Civil Sciences, Project Management
- Construction-related courses offered by VRCA / BCIT
- Time Management Training
- Communications Training
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS ON THE ROLE/ COMPANY
- The Estimator is a team player, works well under pressure, and is able to meet deadlines. They are also able to work cooperatively with other departments and clients for successful project completion.
- The role is intended to be primarily an estimating role; however, Project Management assignments are to be anticipated for complex bid-build and design-build projects.
Location: Coast (Sechelt)
Competitive salary and benefits package offered. Salary will be based on experience.
For consideration, please submit your resume to email@example.com . No phone calls, please.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.