The Estimator is responsible to plan, organize, and fully develop comprehensive conceptual and final costing estimates from the start to the completion of varied civil construction projects. This position works with the Estimating team in the delivery of a total bid price for heavy civil general contracts in both conventional tender and design-build formats. This position may also act as the Technical Lead on Design-Build Projects, and if successful, act as Project Manager throughout project execution.
Key Tasks and Accountability
- Reviews contractual documents and contract modifications to determine the scope of work;
- Reviews specifications and drawings and attend pre-bid meetings to determine the scope of work and required contents of estimates;
- Prepare accurate takeoff quantities using Autodesk QTO takeoff application;
- Prepare estimates using B2W estimating system calculating material, labour, and equipment costs and applying to complete scope of work;
- Prepare, issue, receive and review supplier and subcontractor proposals and pricing;
- Reviews options based on design and recommends the best solution based on cost competitiveness;
- Assist proposal manager in preparing bid package documents;
- Negotiate and manage bid award process and execute contracts;
- Assist in development and maintenance of estimating resource database, guidelines and resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements; and
- Supervise and coach junior team members.
- Thorough understanding with applied knowledge of construction earthwork, structures, paving, underground, and grading practices on large /complex heavy civil projects.
- Excellent technical, communication, organizational, managerial and planning skills.
- Excellent relational and leadership skills.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems and provide solutions.
- Requires very limited supervision and direction beyond providing desired outcomes.
- Ability to learn new software including: HCSS Heavy Bid, B2W estimating, Autodesk NavisWorks, Autodesk Buzzsaw, MS Excel, etc.
- Accredited 4-year degree in related field or applicable discipline; CET Diploma; or equivalent experience.
- Gold Seal Certificate – Estimating.
- Applied Civil Sciences, Project Management.
- Strict adherence to BA Blacktop corporate safety standards and procedures.
- Annual participation in corporate safety orientation.
- Coordinates with Safety Officer to ensure ongoing compliance with client safety. requirements and completion of safety prequalifications, NOP’s etc.
Key Performance Indicators
- Meets all project tender deadlines.
- Consistently delivers a solid, defendable estimate for the bid review process.
Project Financial Responsibility
Project Manager on multiple small to mid-range projects with responsibilities including:
- Implementation and management of project budgets.
- Monitor progress and status of projects including budget updates, CPSR, invoicing and accounts payable follow-up.
- Complete contract closeout documents and process.
- Evaluate and report on profit / loss results.
Additional Comments on the Role / Company
The applicant should have a proven track record in both Estimating & Project Management Roles with a minimum of 5 years industry experience. The role is intended to be primarily an estimating role, however, Project Management assignments are to be anticipated for complex bid build and design-build projects.
Please submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org along with salary expectations. No phone calls please. We would like to thank all applicants for their